Monday, October 16, 2006

ACU Homecoming

We went to back to ACU this past weekend for homecoming. Dawne, one of my best friends and former roommate, choreographed the homecoming musical and we decided it would be great to see her and the show at the same time. We had a wonderful time, and it was great being in Abilene again and seeing all the progress/change the campus and city have undergone. I hadn't been back since 1999, and Eric hadn't been back since 1990. Amazingly, I still remembered how to get from San Antonio to Abilene, and also remembered how to find everything we needed to find while in Abilene.

Let me start by saying that the show was wonderful. Dawne is a wonderful choreographer and managed to turn a group of non tappers into tappers, which was a good thing since the show was "Singing in the Rain". It was also wonderful seeing some of our friends from New York. Dawne's family was there. Dave and Karen have become very dear to us and her brother, Ryan, and I have known each other since ACU - we even did a few shows together. Soeuraya, a teen from the Manhattan Church, was also there checking out the school and the theatre department. I hope she ends up going there so I can see her in future ACU productions. She's extremely talented.

All in all, it was a great weekend. I ran into several professors and friends while there and it was great hearing about what everyone has been up to. One major theme - babies! I was more than proud to show my little Charlotte around to new people.

For those of you who may know some of the people I saw, I'll recap.

Mike Scarborough (A Capella director) - looks exactly the same and seems to be doing well.

Cherly Lemmons - looks even better than before (if that can be possible) and seems very happy. Her daughter Jessica is in the chorus, and Austin (now 15) was her page turner. Austin didn't remember me (my feelings were slightly hurt). Jessica (19) is a sophomore at ACU. Heather (now 23) was there too. She graduated and now lives in College Station. Thom was there too - he's living in College Station as well.

Stephanie Key and family - I met her sweet little girl, Mattie, now 6 weeks old. Stephie looks great and I couldn't believe that she's already back at work. Teachers only get 6 weeks of maternity leave, which is a crime if you ask me!

Vivi (Matta) and Kendall Massey - They look exactly the same, and Vivi's had 3 kids! She teaches tap with Teri Wilkerson. Kendall works at ACU and produces Sing Song, Freshman Follies, and manage/directs the singing groups. I didn't meet their kids, but I did see pictures and they're all cuties, and all boys.

Oh, and I heard that Jay Mendl was there but I didn't get to see him. He's a freshman, and was helping with the technical side of the show, but I'm sure he'll be starring in a homecoming musical before he graduates.

It was a nostalgic weekend.

4 Comments:

At 4:03 AM, Blogger Jay said...

Boy, this takes me back. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Little Light said...

Me too. Me and Jared, flies on the wall - that would have been entertaining enough.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Merle said...

That sounds like a ton of fun. Sometimes I really regret I that I missed out on the Christian University experience (although I wouldn't trade my years in Chicago). I guess it would've been like a camp reunion for me. NYC sure misses you, Deej.

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DJ-
It was so nice to hang out with you guys over homecoming. Thank you again for coming. It really meant alot to me that you would take the time to drive out to support and me and the university. Thank you for your thoughtful words. Love you friend,Dawne
PS. Hi Jared and Merle. Jared, Did you get my vm? Call me. I miss you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home