Monday, April 24, 2006

5 Things I Read Happen to Pregnant Women, but I Didn't Think Would Actually Happen to Me

Like most first time mothers, I've done a lot of reading about pregnancy and birth. The main books I've read are "The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy" and "What to Expect When You're Expecting." I found both to be great, the first more funny and light-hearted, and the second more medical. But, for some reason, I thought I was special, and therefore would not suffer from many of the common symptoms (or maybe side effects is a better phrase) of pregnancy. So, here are the ones I was most surprised about. Don't worry, I'll leave the yuckier ones out of this post.

1. Frequent Urination - OK, so I knew this was going to happen, but I had no idea just how frequent it was going to be. It's so frequent that I annoy myself! Sometimes, I have to go right after I've just gone - literally!

2. Forgetfulness - I didn't really think this would happen. It doesn't sound like a very scientific symptom. I mean, how exactly do they know this happens? But, it IS happening to me. I have to write myself little reminder notes now, and that doesn't always do the trick.

3. Clumsiness - Yet another symptom that doesn't sound very scientific, but it really has happened to me. I'm always dropping things while performing simple tasks. I curse myself outloud (without using profanity - most of the time), and Eric thinks something major has happened like I've injured myself. Usually, I've just dropped something and made a mess of things.

4. Hemorrhoids - This is the only yucky thing I'll mention, and I don't need to say anything more on the subject.

5. Swollen Feet/Increase in Foot Size - I can't believe it, but my feet have actually grown a half size. I had to buy a new pair of closed toed shoes this weekend because I can't quite get away with wearing sandals yet (when will Spring actually come and stay?) and the rest of my shoes don't fit. My mom says she grew a half size with each pregnancy and that her feet never went back to their original size. I think I better stop with 2 kids because I don't want to be anything larger than a size 10.

2 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Little Light said...

Forgetfulness? What's my excuse then?

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger D.J. said...

You're not forgetful just because you forgot about Praise Team this past Sunday. But if you're looking for an excuse, there's always something. I just have a very convenient one right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home