Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Commute from Hell


Last week I thought I had experienced the commute from hell. As usual, I took the express bus home from the corner of 79th and Madison at 4:50 p.m. I can count on getting home between 5:45 and 6:00 p.m. - that is until the Yankees started playing again. Had I known that there was a Yankee game getting out at about the time I was leaving work, I would have found another route home, but since I'm not a Yankee fan, I was clueless as to their schedule.

Needless to say, the traffic was horrible. Our bus would go 2 blocks every 15 minutes or so. At one point, I had to go to the restroom so badly that I begged the driver to let me off in Harlem, even thought that wasn't a stop. I told him I would find another way home. He seemed sympathetic, particularly when he noticed I was pregnant, but he wouldn't let me off the bus because the next stop wasn't until the Bronx and he isn't allowed to let people off anywhere but an actual bus stop.

I finally made it home at about 8:00 p.m. I thought that was the commute from hell.

My story in no way compares to the 69 passengers who were stranded on two trams between Manhattan and Roosevelt Island yesterday. When I got home last night, I turned on the news and found out about their predicament. That night, Eric and I went to our birthing class. When we got home at 10:00 p.m., I turned on the news again and was shocked to see that those poor people were still stranded in the air, and it looked like they would be there for even longer. When I woke up this morning, I found out that the last passenger was removed at about 5:00 a.m. - I couldn't believe it. That has to go down as the worst commute ever - THE commute from hell! My little saga is nothing compared to that!!!

1 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Little Light said...

It all sucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home