Wednesday, May 17, 2006

My Take on American Idol

I admit that I am a huge American Idol fan, and have been since the first season. I missed the second season entirely when I was on the Music Man tour, but I remember watching portions of it one night(when I wasn't onstage) with the security guard for a theatre since he happened to have a small TV. So yes, I'm a fan.

This year has been no exception. I was sad when Chris went home last week because he was one of the better singers there. Elliott has grown on me, but he has this annoying fluttery vibrato most of the time. I think part of his popularity (certainly for me) is that he has gotten better, and he has a quirky charm about him. Taylor Hicks also isn't the greatest singer, but I love him because he sings from his heart and always has a good time. He's confident, but not overly so, and he knows what he's good at. Katherine is my least favorite of the remaining 3, not because she can't sing, but because I think she tries too hard to be something she's not. Why can't she just sing the song instead of noodling around every note like a Mariah Carey wanna be? Her version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was exceptional, but she even tried a few unnecessary riffs in that song. Why does she think that in order to be original she has to riff at every possible opportunity? Case in point - Taylor Hick's version of "Something" and "You Are So Beautiful" were wonderful. He didn't try to add to the already beautiful melody, but he still made the songs his own.

All that being said, I would prefer a Taylor Hicks and Elliott Yamin finale. They are more endearing and more communicative with their voices. And, they're both unique, where as Katherine can be forgettable. Am I being too hard on her?

3 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger Little Light said...

I liked Chris and Paris, although I only watched the show at the beginning. I guess I want Taylor to win now (tho I really don't care to tell the truth). And I agree with you about the noodling. When did that become de rigeur for anyone who steps on a stage with a microphone?

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger OperaBarbie said...

You are definitely not being too hard on her. She strikes me as one more generic singer of the "why walk when you can cartwheel" vocal philosophy. I myself was a Mandisa fan; she was not perfect, but that was an amazing voice. And she had such passion. I haven't really watched it much since she got the boot.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger D.J. said...

It looks like America disagrees with us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home