Thursday, June 01, 2006

Weight Gain

On Saturday, I will officially be 38 weeks pregnant. At 37 weeks, a baby is considered to be full term and can arrive at any times. I'm trying not to think that our baby will arrive earlier than 40 weeks, but a part of me hopes. It's been a nice pregnancy, but I'm ready for it to be over and for the mothering to begin.

I will be going to the doctor every week now until the baby is born. I can't say 'my' doctor because I'm being rotated among the other doctors in the practice just in case my doctor is not on call when I deliver (which will most likely be the case). So far, I have liked every doctor I've met, but I have noticed a small difference in male verses female doctors. All the male doctors (with the exception of mine) want to bring up the issue of weight gain, and that I'm a little over what is recommended. The female doctor I saw today told me that my weight gain was "fine" (without any prompting) and more importantly, that the baby's size is good for where I am. She estimates that the baby will be born somewhere within the 7 lb. range, which sounds good to me. Delivery will be tough either way, but it's gotta be somewhat easier to deliver a 7 lb. baby than a 9 pounder.

Anyway, I'm digressing from my main point. Why are the male doctors so concerned about weight gain? Is a female doctor more sympathetic to the stresses of pregnancy on a body and to a woman's view of her body during pregnancy? After all, I don't need anyone else verifying what I already know - that I've put on a lot of weight.

1 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Little Light said...

I've never heard of anyone being told that they haven't gained too much weight. I don't get it, most people lose the weight and as far as I can see, they look fine and the baby is usually fine. But then I don't really know what I'm talking about. You do look fine, however.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home